Wednesday, September 14, 2011

なぜにほんご?

Why Japanese?

Admittedly, one of the main reasons why I want to learn Japanese is so that I could understand various anime that I watch and manga that I read.  But why not watch them with English dubbing?  That's because most of the time, the voice acting in the dubs are absolutely terrible.  Aside from that, you still have the problem of possible mistranslations, a problem which is even worse with fan subbed versions of anime.  Manga presents a similar problem.

There are still several other reasons why I want to learn Japanese.  I have never attempted to learn a language that uses a completely different character set than English (as I am already proficient in German).  I have also always been very interested in Japanese culture, be it modern or not, and I believe you can achieve a greater understanding of culture by learning the language.  Both of these things (learning the culture and the language) are what excite me the most learning Japanese.

Interestingly enough, the hardest part about learning the language so far is not memorizing vocabulary, the characters, or even getting the accent right.  The difficulty was mostly in the handwriting.  While I can recognize all of the characters that I had learned, being able to right them correctly and neatly is something that I very much need to work on.  I have to get the stroke order right, and if it's a hard stop or a flowing motion, etc.  It's probably because I'm too used to writing in roman characters, but the difficulty is there nonetheless.

Well, we shall see.
Pleased to meet you.
どうぞよろしくおねがいします。

No comments:

Post a Comment