Tuesday, September 27, 2011

わかりますか?

Let's talk doing things.  Er, let's talk about verbs~ (duh).  Let's also talk about time, maybe?  "Tenses" maybe? "Verb tenses" so to speak?  How many ways can you do something in English? I can do it, or maybe I did it.  Maybe I will do it.  I could be doing it right now.  Or perhaps I was being formal and had done it, not to mention I have done it.  Is this something I have/had been doing? On second thought, I'll not be doing that...

Uh... where was I? (Where am I? Where will I be? >.<)  Well, I learned something new today~ In Japanese, there are only TWO basic tenses!  It's like, past tense, and *not* past tense.  The present and future are treated the same! It's, like, crazy! "NOW" DOESN'T EXIST!! THE PRESENT ISN'T HAPPENING!!!!!
わかりましたか???わかりますか????
O.O
o.o
._.
..


えと。。。That's not actually true. Or, rather, I exaggerate~
"Now" does exist. As in, what time is it now? いまなんじですか。

Spricht jemand hier Deutsch? There is a similar sort of parallel there, too. Auf Deutsch: ich kann etwas machen.  Auch, ich kann etwas gemacht habe, oder ich machte etwas.  Anstatt, vielleicth, werde ich etwas machen.  And there you have your simple "I do it," "I did it," and "I will do it."  But you know, in English, we don't normally say, "I shop."  We swap the action verb for a helping one and change the action into a gerund, eg, "I am shopping."  But German doesn't have gerunds!  It is impossible to literally translate "I am shopping" to German; you can only say "I shop." Verstehen Sie?

My head hurts now...

4 comments:

  1. Das stimmt nicht. Mann kann einkaufen gehen.
    ...literally, that's the only example of a gerund I can think of... you were just unlucky enough to choose it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's still not technically a gerund, because it literally means "One can go to shop" not "One can go shopping." Oder sowas... It functions the same as the gerund in English, but it is still grammatically different.

    Or so I'll say. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    Besides, even though it's grammatically correct, no one says "Ich bin einkaufen gehen," they just say "Ich kaufe etwas." Oder...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ドイツごおはなしますか?わたしのともだちわドイツごのはなしあす!I hope one day to learn German also.

    I remember when I was learning Spanish being so overwhelmed by all of the verb tenses. It is definitely much easier to learn the conjugations and the tenses in にほんご。

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found out that, tense wise, Japanese language is a lot like Chinese language . Chinese does not have many forms for verbs, but chinese does have a sense of tense by using adverbial modifier. Just like いま、きょ、きの、あした,etc. However unlike the Japanese language has the "did", and "undo" tense structure, that one verb has four different forms), chinese has only one form.

    ReplyDelete