Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hooray!

I now know all of Hiragana! :O

 So, now I can write Hiragana in Hiragana! I mean, ひらがな!ははは, whoops, I mean "hahaha." Haha...  Anyway, I'll shamelessly admit that one of characters I've been most looking forward to learning is "nyan" or just "nya" which I now know is にゃ or にゃん. :3

 It's very surprising to me that instead of having a separate character that sounds like "nya," it's a combination of "ni" and "ya."  Another aspect of Hiragana that I found surprising was the difference between "ka" and "ga," "sa" and "za," etc (or, in Hiragana か and が or さ and ざ).  Although, to me, it makes sense that instead of having an entirely different character for similar sounds, you only have to modify a different character to get what you want.  But this also brings up another point.

Because the characters in English don't necessary mean anything by themselves, the syllables are must consist of multiple characters for the most part. I think a lot of the word structure gets lost when writing in romanji versus Hiragana.  For example, "tadashi" is a pretty neat word, in my opinion.  Mostly because of the "tada" part, where there is slight consonance between the "ta" and the "da."  However, in roman characters, "t" and "d" are completely unrelated, even though they sound similar.  Their similarity is incredibly evident in Hiragana, where "tadashi" is written ただし.  Similarly with "kaga" as かが.  Is it just me, or does かが look a lot nicer than "kaga" especially considering the consonance of the word?  It isn't. It looks awesome.  Relatedly, none of the roman character names match up with the sound they make. Like, the letter "t" is called "tee" but the noise it makes on its own is, well, "t."  The only way we understand the roman characters is how they relate to others.  With Hiragana, like I said before, each character is already a syllable and complete by itself, eg ね is "ne."  Pretty neat~

Unrelatedly, I am now having trouble remembering all the Hiragana characters. Ahahah, oh boy...  Well, I am actually pretty sure that I remember all of them except for the m set and and r set.  While I'm typing this I can sort of cheat, because I can just type らりるれろ or まみむめも without needing to remember the characters.  That aside, those are my last Hiragana to memorize! にゃにゃにゃにゃにゃ! (that was me laughing maniacally)

Until next time, じゃまた
^_^

2 comments:

  1. ふふふふ。。。 

    You've waited all this time to know にゃ when ふ is all you've ever needed. Before reading the last paragraph I thought you meant you'd memorized all the hiragana... which would be crazy.. I don't know how I'll ever be able to tell わ、 れ、 and ね apart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, well, now I have them all memorized~
    ふふふふふ。。。

    (...I could get used to ふ)

    ReplyDelete